About our Parish
The St. George Hellenic Orthodox Church was founded in 1929 in East Chicago, Indiana. In the early years, temporary locations were used for Church services. A permanent Church was constructed in 1938 with Father Leontios Kyriakakos serving as pastor. As the parish grew and members began to move to communities outside of East Chicago, the parish explored relocation.
In 1977, the community relocated to its present location in Schererville occupying a multi-purpose facility including a banquet hall, chapel, and administrative offices. Through this transition, the community was guided by Reverend Anthony Kanavos who served the parish for over 40 years. After Father Kanavos' passing in 1990, Reverend Constantine Aliferakis led the community in the construction of the Church with the groundbreaking in July of 1990. Father Constantine and the community celebrated the Thyranoixia ("Opening of the Doors") in 1992 and the Consecration of the Church in October 1995.
Since that time we have grown to a community of over 300 families and are an active part in the town of Schererville.